Thursday, August 22, 2019

A new direction for this blog

In July 2015, I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. So many things got put on hold, including Kaylee's Shindig Dress I had literally just started buying fabric for.

Since I am now a stay-at-home mom, I do a few more things to keep me busy: mainly, I have discovered a love of costuming, particularly in historical dress. There's some Viking and Renaissance stuff thrown in for Faires and such, and a cosplay here and there, but mainly my interests lie in the 100 years of the mid-1700s to mid-1800s. I'll attempt to cover projects I've already completed to help out anyone just dipping their toes, as I was. Research is hard, but fun!

In regards to all this historical dress, I don't strictly stick to period methods. If it can be done with a sewing machine it will be done so, but if the right look can't be achieved, hand-sewing it is.

A few weeks ago, I returned from my second annual Costume College in LA. My first year in 2018, I only had my Outlander costume to wear, but it was an amazing experience. This year, I'd also only had one new costume to wear: Kaylee's Shindig dress. I had to sell and move house right after CoCo 2018, so I lost six months of costuming time, and the Shindig dress took the other six months to construct from the undergarments up. This year, I'm highly motivated to do all my maintenance sewing (fix bedroom curtains, make an actual linen shift (not cotton) from a better pattern, and some other alterations) plus some other items to wear to next year's CoCo.

So, please join me as I embark on this year's journey to sew many more things for Costume College 2020!!

No comments:

Post a Comment